Monday, November 18, 2019

Everything happens in God's timing, not ours.


Acts 1:7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

I find it quite hilarious that I found this verse tonight as I was reading to our kids.  When I woke up this morning I sat up in bed and said, “Oh crap, I don’t have a devotional to send out!”  I worried about it for a while, prayed HARD for god to help me write a great one right now so it wouldn’t be too late.  Now here I sit 8:30 typing away without having any issues coming up with the right words.  God it is truly your timing, not ours.  We would like to thank all of you who are reading this and say we are sorry it was late, but we KNOW that God allowed this to happen to prove his point that everything happens in his timing, not ours.

So often I find myself looking to God and saying, “It would sure be nice if you could make this happen now, like right now.  Or “hey there big guy how about you tell me when this is going to happen so I can be prepared for it.”  Wouldn’t it be nice to know when certain things are going to happen in our lives?  Like when we will find the perfect spouse, or when our first child will be born, or maybe when we will either land the perfect job or start our business?  Those things might be nice to know but it’s not in God’s plans to divulge every detail to us.  And for good reason too.  We would find a way to mess it up. 

On the flip side would you really want to know the worse details like, when your child will pass away, or your friends, or whoever?  Would you want to know when you were going to get a horrible boss, or horrible coworkers? 

I’m glad that God doesn’t share his timing with me for a couple of reasons.  One is that it allows me to live life without knowing when things will happen.  It helps me to look for answers in him and his word when times are troubling.  It allows me to give him full glory when times are great.  It allows me to love unconditionally.  If I knew when I was going to have issues with management would I stay at the job or start looking right away?  There’s a good chance that I would start looking and then I would miss the learning experience that God was setting right in front of me. 

Lord we come to you late today and we are thankful for the opportunities that you have presented us with.  Even those opportunities that we don’t see as “great” ones.  We are thankful that everything is in YOUR time and not ours, because we know that you are teaching us every second of every day if we allow you to.  God I would like to ask one favor for the entire world, that is that you continue to keep your time.  You know what is best, help us to understand that you are in control and you are here to help us.

Thank you for everything that you have done and will do for us, Thank you for YOUR timing.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment